Learning Aims and Outcomes
Course Title: Dementia Awareness
Course length – 6 hours
Maximum number to attend - 15
This course is aimed at all staff in health and social care.
At the end of the training session, there is a short written assessment to evidence the learning of the attendees.
Introduction - Dementia
· Define dementia
· Identify the different forms of dementia
· Describe common causes of dementia
· Identify signs and symptoms of dementia
· Demonstrate how to promote positive communication for people with dementia
Person Centred Care
· Understand the importance of personal centred care
· Discuss advanced care planning
Dementia – Needs and experiences of people with the condition.
· Explain how someone might feel if they have a condition such as dementia
· Explain how these conditions may influence a person’s needs in relation to the care that they may require
· Explain why is it important to understand that the causes and support needs are different for people with dementia
Health and Wellbeing
· Explain how positive attitudes towards those with dementia will improve the care and support they receive.
· Describe the social model of disability and how it underpins the positive attitude towards disability and involving people in their own care
Response to behaviours that can challenge
· Identify challenging behaviours which individuals may present in a variety of settings
· Explain what is meant by the term BPSD (behavioural and psychological causes of dementia)
· Identify various causes of BPSD
· Describe how to use multi step redirection when a situation becomes challenging
· Describe other techniques that can be used to respond to challenging behaviour.
· Explain why behaviours that challenge are a form of communication
· Demonstrate active listening and good communication techniques
· Identify what documentation needs to be completed when an incident has occurred
· Explain what role record keeping has in relation to monitoring and prevention of challenging behaviours.
Do you bring equipment?
We bring all required equipment with us
How long do certificates last
Please See the Individual courses, on how long certificates last
Do your trainers come to us?
Our Trainers can provide training at your venue. Or you can come to our fully equipped training rooms.